In honor of Better Hearing & Speech Month, we thought we’d share seven fun facts about hearing! For instance, did you know that:
- Fish do not have ears, but they can hear pressure changes through ridges on the body.
- Your ears continue to hear sounds, even when you’re sleeping! However, your brain chooses to ignore those sounds.
- Snakes hear through their jaw bone and male mosquitos hear through thousands of tiny hairs growing on their antennae.
- The hardest bone in the body is the temporal bone, which encases most of the ear, including the inner ear which helps process sounds.
- Earwax is good for you – it is designed to catch dirt and debris to prevent it from moving further into your ear.
- Parrots were used on the Eiffel Tower during World War I to warn of approaching enemy aircraft because of their excellent hearing, which could detect approaching danger before human ears could hear it.
- The eardrum moves less than a billionth of an inch in response to very faint sounds.
That last fact is one of the reasons that the new hearing technology behind the Earlens Contact Hearing Solution is so revolutionary. Earlens is the only hearing solution that directly vibrates the eardrum to transmit sound. In order to determine how to do this, the Earlens research team spent years understanding how the eardrum moves in relation to different sound frequencies. Today, those learnings have paid off – Earlens can overcome the limitations of conventional hearing aids with regard to bandwidth and feedback by directly vibrating the eardrum instead of relying on tiny speakers to transmit sound.
See how Earlens works, or find an Earlens provider near you to hear the Earlens difference.
Posted In :
Follow us on Twitter: